8 Interesting facts about AAC
AAC blocks or Autoclaved Aerated Concrete are a lightweight and environment-friendly alternative to clay bricks, and has bring significant change in the construction industry in India. Magicrete is the leading manufacturer and supplier of these blocks in the northern and western parts of India, and aims to make modern buildings more sustainable, safer, stronger and healthier than ever before. Made with fly-ash, AAC blocks are much lighter than clay bricks, durable, have high load-bearing capabilities and are available in different sizes, shapes and strengths. They are easy to use and reduce project costs as well.
Hereâ€™s a look at the 7 interesting features of these blocks:
- Invention â€“ The Swedish architect Dr. Johan Axel Eriksson invented the AAC blocks, when he was working at the Royal Institute of Technology with Professor Henrik KreÃ¼ger. The blocks drew commercial interest and the first large-scale manufacturing facility of these artificially-made crystalized stone blocks was set up in 1929. This was done under the name Yxhult at a factory, Yxhults Stenhuggeri Aktibolag.
- European popularity â€“ 60% of all the structures in Germany and 40% of those in UK are made with AAC blocks.
- Eco-friendlinessâ€“ Since AAC blocks are friendly towards environment, as they donâ€™t pollute land, air or water while being manufactured or used in construction sites. They use up very little energy during the production process as well. Moreover, they are made up of flyash which is a national waste.
- Fire and earthquake resistantâ€“Since AAC blocks by offer high thermal insulation, they can resist fire for upto 2 to 6 hours. They are lightweight as well unlike clay bricks, and reduce the deadweight of a building significantly. This in turn enhances the stability of the structure and resists earthquakes.
- Fast construction and cost-effective â€“Not only are the AAC blocks easy to handle, they can be modified with saws and drills to suit individual requirements. So, a wide array of designs can be achieved with them. Hence, putting together even complicated structures becomes a piece of cake! Plus, AAC blocks are 9 times the size of clay bricks thus have minimal joints. Naturally, installation ease is increased and time needed reduced. Masonry work becomes simpler, leading to reduced labor costs and quicker construction.
Since AAC blocks are almost 80% lighter than conventional clay bricks, they reduce the deadweight of a structure incredibly. Hence, lesser amount of steel and cement is needed, which lowers the cost of the project. Also, the transportation cost of these blocks becomes very low.
- Resistant to soundâ€“AAC blocks can absorb sound efficiently, making them suitable for constructing hospitals, studios, auditoriums and hotels. Also, houses built with AAC comfortable for children and old age, as they will keep outside noises away, hence ensure sound sleep.
AAC Blocks can provide STC rating of 44db.
- Resistant to pests and Termiteâ€“ AAC blocks is made of an inorganic materials which keep pests and termites at bay. This way, you donâ€™t have to use harmful chemicals or sprays inside homes, to ensure hygiene and cleanliness.
Besides all the advantages of AAC blocks mentioned above, it might also interest you to know that these blocks have high compressive strength. Plus, they come in consistent sizes and shapes, so that walls look uniform and aesthetic.
Magicrete is a frontline manufacturer and supplier of these eco-friendly and sustainable blocks in India, and is all set to make the construction industry in India smarter.