What is Prefab Construction ?
Gone are the days when a building was built brick by brick. Today, technological breakthroughs have made it easy to use modular techniques that save both money and time without compromising on the quality. Prefab construction has brought about a significant change in the construction industry worldwide. For your next home or property, if you want the perfect combination of great design and durability with state of the art quality-controlled manufacturing procedures, then prefab construction is the answer.
But first, what is prefab construction?
In the simplest of terms, prefab construction is the construction that takes place by bringing together components of a structure in a manufacturing site or factory, and then transporting the complete assembles to the construction site where the structure is planned to be located.
The work is carried out in mainly two stages, first is the manufacturing of the components that takes place in a factory location different from its final location. And the second stage is the assembling and erection of the structure in the final location. These days, prefabrication is being used even in space crafts and aircraft.
Here is an insight into the different types of prefab systems in construction:
- Steel framing: Steel has been touted as a durable and strong building material for both residential and commercial construction. Prefab steel framing panels are extensively used in all kinds of construction.
- Penalized wood framing: This prefab construction makes roof construction a much safer activity. Up to 75 feet long, penalized wood frames are made with laminated timber covered by plywood or some boat roof deck.
- Concrete systems: This helps lend more versatility and also saves time. Concrete fragments prefabricated in a building are heavier than other prefab components but definitely help in improving the buildingâ€™s aesthetics.
- Sandwich panels: These are made by fixing together two thin facings of concrete, plywood or stainless steel which are then stuck in an insulating core made from cloth, rubber, paper or foam.
- Modular systems: This system integrates all styles of prefab and the entire building is made from factory constructed unit It is then transported to the final location where it is connected to a prepared foundation
- Timber framing: Timber frames are built in factories and then used in erecting timber homes which are not very common in India.
Prefab construction is increasingly being adopted across the world because of unparalleled benefits such as:
- Sustainability: Prefab construction promises closely managed material flow and construction waste with minimum site disturbance. It helps in controlling the environmental impact of construction.
- Speedy Construction: Prefab construction allows room for parallel preparation activities at the site while the fabrication process takes place in the factory. This helps in speedy completion of the project.
- Cleanliness: Since the fabrication process goes on in the factories, there is minimum on-site waste.
- Quality: Factory controlled processes result in superior quality prefab construction as compared to on-site construction. Also, the indoor environment shields the buildings and the components from destruction and climatic
- Safety: Ensuring the health and safety of the workers is easier in a factory setting as compared to on-site construction.
- Superior technology: Prefab construction is witnessing many technological breakthroughs today. Computer-aided designs are set to revolutionize prefab constructions.
- Higher value: With prefab constructions, speedy delivery of the project is possible, which yields a higher value for the clientsâ€™ investment as well as leads to lower side outlays.
So clearly, prefab constructions is the present and the future. Prefab buildings offer the same shelter and ambience as conventional buildings but the added benefits make it a favorable choice.
Magicrete precast is the future of modular building solutions which promises cost-effectiveness, design flexibility and rapid construction.
Here is a list of Magicrete prefab products that give complete flexibility and robustness to construction designs:
- Stormwater Drains:Â High strength concrete which allows for fast construction of stormwater drains/ waterways. It is easy in handling & laying and requires minimal wet concrete work is easy in handling & laying and requires minmal wet concrete work on site.
- Cable Trenches:Â U- shape trench is a high strength load-bearing unit, used to hold and protect multiple services including power & communication cables; gas, water, and chemical pipes. Multiples tiers inside the same trench are possible and can be customized as per the requirement.
- Columns and beams: Precast columns and beams lend an ideal framework for hanging precast panels and bringing alive a design that offers seamless construction, structural stability and fire resistance.
- Load bearing panels: Used extensively in a contemporary project, these panels can eliminate the need for structural framing and act as a striking building facade.
- Lightweight panels: The lightweight wall panels are the structural solution for varied types of commercial and residential projects.
- Staircase: Using precast staircases improves time efficiency and allows operational access instantly to all floor areas.
With turnkey precast solutions, Magicrete envisions a breakthrough in construction standards in India and abroad.